Courses Held at Centaur
Canine First Aid Course
Keeping our pets safe takes many important skills, including a knowledge of First aid in an Emergency situation.
Rachel Bean has been in Veterinary Practice for 20 years. She is a Registered Veterinary Nurse registered with The Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons and qualified in 2002.
This length of time in frontline practice gives her the necessary experience in Emergency situations and how to deal with trauma, accidents and life threatening conditions.
It is her view that tutors should have real experience in emergency situations to be able to teach effectively. The skills needed in Veterinary Practice, empathy, understanding, precision and forward thinking compliment perfectly the skills needed to be in Practice such as practical handling, breed knowledge and a natural passion for dogs. This combination of experience both practical and theoretical is a rare combination and places Rachel above and beyond the average Veterinary Nurse.
Time: 9:30 – 16:30
Canine First Aid Workshop Content
- Introduction To First Aid
- The Veterinary Surgeons Act 1966 – its Boundaries and Limitations.
- Assessing a patient – A, B, C’s, pulse rates
- Handling and Restraint
- Haemorrhage, arterial bleeds.
- Wound classification, open and closed wounds
- Insect Stings
- Poisons, Symptoms, Common toxins
- Shock, Hypovolaemic, Vasculogenic, Cardiogenic
- Unconscious and Collapse,
- Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation
- Epilepsy, differential diagnosis, poisoning etc
- Choking, stick in roof of mouth, opening a dogs mouth safely, Heimlich Maneuver
- Fractures, cruciate ligament injuries, growth plate injuries.
- Injuries to Eyes, Ears, Nose, prolapsed eyeball.
- Gastric Dilation/bloat
- First Aid Kits
Practical Sessions – Using REAL Dogs
- Locating the Femoral Artery
- Calculating a Pulse Rate
- Emergency Muzzling
- Heimlich Maneover Positioning
- Bandaging fore paw
- Bandaging Hind Paw
- Pressure bandage of head/ears
- Application of emergency Tourniquet and its dangers
- CPR – two sessions on CASPER model dog