Courses Held at Centaur
Youth Mental Health First Aid
Let’s start with the statistics. One in ten young people experience a mental health issue at any one time. For those aged 5-19 suicide is the second most common cause of death, and a record number of children contacted Childline with suicidal thoughts in 2016/17.
In an average group of 30, 15-year-olds:
• Seven are likely to have been bullied
• Six may be self-harming
• One could have experienced the death of a parent
Record levels of young people are struggling. Academic pressure, social media, bullying, poverty, lack of availability of professional mental health support – all have been named as contributing to this epidemic of poor mental health in our young people.
It’s clear that young people are not getting the support they need. Key figures in a young person’s life – parents, family members, teachers, tutors, carers, youth workers – can often spot when a young person is struggling but may not know how best to help.
Programme duration – 2 days
Our Youth MHFA Two Day course qualifies you as a Youth Mental Health First Aider.
Youth Mental Health First Aiders have:
• An in depth understanding of young people’s mental health and factors that affect wellbeing
• Practical skills to spot the triggers and signs of mental health issues
• Confidence to reassure and support a young person in distress
• Enhanced interpersonal skills such as non-judgemental listening
• Knowledge to help a young person recover their health by guiding them to further support – whether that’s through self-help sites, their place of learning, the NHS, or a mix – engaging with parents, carers and external agencies where appropriate
• Ability to support a young person with a long-term mental health issue or disability to thrive
• Tools to look after your own mental wellbeing
Every employee who completes the course will become a qualified youth mental health first aider and earn a certificate from MHFA England.
Trainers will use continuous assessment to evaluate candidates.
This programme is accredited by Mental Health England. The training is fully certified and follows the internationally recognised Mental Health First Aid England (Youth) course.